the pearl

Nail Polish

Oz wrapped an arm around Willow and grinned. "How're you doing, baby?"

Willow smiled. "Better," she said softly. She looked down at her wheelchair, then looked back up at Oz. "The doctors say that I'll be out of the chair in around a week."

"That's great," he said, kissing the side of her cheek. "In the meantime....I brought you something." He pulled out a small box and handed it to her.

Willow grinned and began opening it. "What is it?" After tearing aside the paper and opening the box, she looked at it and frowned slightly. "Nail polish?"

"Yeah," Oz said, smiling. "See, it matches your hair." He held the bottle up next to a lock of her hair.

"Yeah, but..." Willow paused for a second. "Oz, I don't wear nail polish."

Oz frowned. "You don't?"

Willow shook her head. "When I try to put it on, I get it all over my fingers." She held up her hands. "I'm not very good at staying in the lines."

"Oh!" he said, smiling. "I'll do it for you!" He started shaking the nail polish bottle. He sat next to her, grabbed her hand, and placed it on his thigh. Willow blushed slightly, but Oz was too focused on the nail polish to notice. He opened the polish bottle and began painting her nails.

Willow watched Oz paint her nails. He had a precise hand, delicately stroking the brush over her nail. After a few seconds, she looked up from their hands and watched him. He painted her nails with the same determination she had seen him use when playing the guitar, when writing a program, when kissing her.

Before she realized, he was looking back at her, a concerned look on his face. "Are you okay?"

She looked up. "Oh! Yeah." She looked down, her cheeks slightly pink. "I just....I was just watching you."

Oz smiled. "I finished your nails," he said softly.

Willow held up her hand and smiled. "Oh wow...." She waved her hand, looking at the color, then looked back at Oz. "Thank you."

Oz smiled again. "Anytime you decide that you want some nail polish, give me a call, okay?" He stood up and began to leave.

"Oz?" Oz turned around. Willow looked down, blushing slightly. "I..." She looked up at him. "I love you."

Oz was surprised for a second, then smiled tenderly. "Willow," he said softly, "I love you too."

Willow closed her eyes for a second, smiled, and held open her arms. Oz wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.

This Angel/Buffy the Vampire Slayer story was written by Kate Bolin. If you liked it, there's plenty more at http://www.dymphna.net/fanfic/. And you can feedback her at dymphna@dymphna.net.