the pearl

I Walk The Line

"Devon, c'mon, let me sing."

The leader singer of "Dingoes Ate My Baby" stared at his lead guitarist in shock. "You?" He laughed. "Oz, you can't sing!"

"You never let me." He pulled another amp out of the van. "C'mon, Devon...it's Willow's birthday tonight. And I thought it'd be nice if I..."

Devon snorted. "That's cute. What, you hoping she'll put out?"

Oz raised an eyebrow. "Thanks, Devon. Glad to see you're keeping everything in perspective." He paused for a second. "So...can I?"

Devon looked up from his careful study of a fellow student's flouncing mini-skirt. "Huh? Oh, singing...um..." He paused for a second, then shrugged. "What the hell, I could use a break. All right, in-between 'Dead Man' and 'Tears', you can sing." He glanced at his bandmate. "You do have a song, right? The last thing I need is the guitarist making an ass of himself and the band. It'd be bad for my — the band's image."

 

"So Oz said he'd have something special for you at the Bronze?"

"Yeah, because he couldn't get out of this gig on my birthday."

Buffy grinned. "What do you think it is? Flowers? Jewelry?"

Willow smiled softly. "He wouldn't tell me."

"Well, whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be a major amazing thing." Buffy linked her arm through her best friend's and together they walked into the Bronze. The band had just begun to play. Willow and Buffy found an empty table and watched the band.

A few songs into their set, Devon came up to the mike. "All right, I'm gonna take a short break, and let someone else sing for once. Oz, get up here." There was some faint applause as Oz took center stage, still holding his guitar tenderly. "Um...hi...I wanted to wish someone a very happy birthday. Willow," he said, looking out at her from the stage. "This is for you, baby." He began to play a low tune on his guitar, then stepped up to the mike and began to sing in a nice, elegant tenor.

"I keep a close watch on this heart of mine.
I keep my eyes wide open all the time.
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds.
Because you're mine, I walk the line."

Willow shook her head slightly, not believing that he was singing to her, a wide smile on her face, and Buffy could swear her eyes were shining.

Oz looked down at the guitar, then looked back up, smiling just as widely, before he broke into the second verse.

"I find it very, very easy to be true.
I find myself alone when each day is through.
Yes, I'll admit I'm a fool for you.
Because you're mine, I walk the line."

Buffy chuckled to herself. Who knew Oz was a Johnny Cash fan? She nodded along with the beat, enjoying every second, and began singing along softly with the third verse.

"As sure as night is dark and day is light.
I keep you on my mind both day and night.
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line."

Willow's eyes gleamed in the low light of the Bronze. This was so incredible, possibly the best present she had received in many years.

"You've got a way to keep me on your side.
You give me cause for love that I can't hide.
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide.
Because you're mine, I walk the line."

Willow stared at Oz, her eyes locked with his. He began to sing the final verse, Willow mouthing the words along with him.

"I keep a close watch on this heart of mine.
I keep my eyes wide open all the time.
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds.
Because you're mine, I walk the line."

Oz finished the song still looking directly at Willow. "Happy birthday, Willow," he said softly, before the audience burst into applause.

This Angel/Buffy the Vampire Slayer story was written by Kate Bolin. If you liked it, there's plenty more at http://www.dymphna.net/fanfic/. And you can feedback her at dymphna@dymphna.net.